Review: The Silent Grove (Dragon Age)

The Silent Grove (Dragon Age Graphic Novels #1) by David Gaider, Alexander Freed, Chad Hardin







Dragon Age: The Silent Grove is the perfect introduction to BioWare's dark fantasy universe. In this essential, canonical story from David Gaider, lead writer of the games, King Alistair, accompanied only by rogues Isabela and Varric, embarks on a quest deep inside the borders of Antiva - a nation of assassins. Together, they will encounter a prison break, dragons, the mysterious Witch of the Wilds, and one of the greatest secrets in the history of the world!
Dragon Age games are my favourite ones for many reasons. You can experience the most amazing world with rich history and various cultures, great plot, but more importantly you encounter absolutely wonderful characters. These characters are fleshed out and have real depth, there is ambiguity and complexity. Playing these games is like being an active participant in a high fantasy book/series, it's a great experience.
So far there are five Dragon Age novels, but I had to start with the graphic novels (this year seems to be a lot about graphic novels and comics for me).
I think you could read this book without ever playing any Dragon Age game, it would be still enjoyable, but you would miss little things and some references. So this graphic novel is more for fans I'm afraid.


I absolutely love the art, it's beautiful! The story is amazing as well, Alistair is a great character to follow. And Isabela and Varric are both rogues, my favourite class. There is something very romantic about rogues, they also tend to be the most ambiguous characters, which I always enjoy.
All in all this was a beautiful book and anyone would enjoy it, but I recommend it especially for the DA fans.


Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! :)