Graphic Novels Reviews: Anya's Ghost and The Fade Out

Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol








Anya could really use a friend. But her new BFF isn't kidding about the "Forever" part.
Of all the things Anya expected to find at the bottom of an old well, a new friend was not one of them. Especially not a new friend who’s been dead for a century.
Falling down a well is bad enough, but Anya's normal life might actually be worse. She's embarrassed by her family, self-conscious about her body, and she's pretty much given up on fitting in at school. A new friend—even a ghost—is just what she needs.
Or so she thinks.
This one seems to be a cute graphic novel, but it's so much more.
Anya, as any teenager, struggles with everything. She wants to fit in, but the fact she's a daughter of Russian emigrants doesn't help. She tries to act tough and cool, but it's more than obvious that she is a kind girl who is so confused by everything. One day, when she skips school, she ends up in an old well and meets "her ghost". It was amazing to follow Anya's story and the way she dealt with everything that was expected from her (family, school, friends, society etc.) and how in the end she had to face and fight her ghost in order to "survive". Anya's a very well fleshed out and believable character.
At first I wasn't super excited about the art, but now I actually love it. I especially enjoy what the author/artist does with eyes and how it can change the expression on one's face so completely.




This was a very enjoyable read dealing with some big things. I'm definitely going to read more things by Brosgol.

Rating:




The Fade Out, Vol. 1 by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips



 



Brubaker and Phillips' newest hit series, The Fade Out, is an epic noir set in the world of noir itself, the backlots and bars of Hollywood at the end of its Golden Era. A movie stuck in endless reshoots, a writer damaged from the war and lost in the bottle, a dead movie star and the lookalike hired to replace her. Nothing is what it seems in the place where only lies are true. The Fade Out is Brubaker and Phillips' most ambitious project yet!

I'm still not sure what to think about this one. I was so excited when I requested this on NetGalley, so much actually that I had to buy it before my request was approved.
It's very dark in all ways: the story, the art, everything is perfectly noir. The main character is a perfect noir anti-hero. He's clever and has got some talent. There are moments when you like him, but there are moments when you really despise him.
I know this is only the first volume, yet I couldn't help it, at times it felt like the story was inconsistent.
As I said, I'm still not sure about this one. I will probably read the next volume though.

Rating:

 

2 comments:

Blue Eyed Night Owl said...

I've heard so many great things about Anya's Ghost and hope to read it someday! (So happy to find out it was your current giveaway!)

And I hope the second issue of the other one will turn out better for you. Sometimes it just takes a little while for a story to really take off, doesn't it? Hope that's the case here.

livingbelowtheclouds said...

This graphic novel seems really interesting!

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! :)