Review: Omens by Kelley Armstrong

Omens (Cainsville #1) by Kelley Armstrong



Twenty-four-year-old Olivia Taylor Jones has the perfect life. The only daughter of a wealthy, prominent Chicago family, she has an Ivy League education, pursues volunteerism and philanthropy, and is engaged to a handsome young tech firm CEO with political ambitions.

But Olivia’s world is shattered when she learns that she’s adopted. Her real parents? Todd and Pamela Larsen, notorious serial killers serving a life sentence. When the news brings a maelstrom of unwanted publicity to her adopted family and fiancĂ©, Olivia decides to find out the truth about the Larsens.

Olivia ends up in the small town of Cainsville, Illinois, an old and cloistered community that takes a particular interest in both Olivia and her efforts to uncover her birth parents’ past.

Before I started reading Omens I had been in a weird kind of reading slump. I had only read graphic novels and comics. I had also listened to a lot of BBC dramatizations of Miss Marple. But I hadn't read any "proper books". Then I discovered Omens on my Kindle and it got me out of the reading slump so easily!

Omens is a mix of mystery/thriller and magical realism. Kelley Armstrong is known for urban fantasy, but this book didn't feel like it. It was more about Welsh/Celtic mythology and folklore. Don't expect any werewolves.
Olivia, the main character, was fun to follow. She's a very believable character. She is strong, but yet she is afraid and hurt, but she always tries to do the right thing. I enjoyed her ability to look at her actions with distance and evaluate them. I also like how she slowly accepted all the supernatural things happening around her and in her life. And the omens integrated into the story, that was amazing!
Most other characters were only introduced and I'm looking forward to learn more about them, especially about Patrick. :) I'm also looking forward to learn more about Cainsville, its history, its gargoyles etc. It seems like a wonderfull place to live or at least to visit.

This was a quick and fun read. Great book to get you out of a reading slump!

Rating:



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! :)