Comics Reviews: Pretty Deadly, Vol. 1 and Edward Scissorhands Volume 1

Pretty Deadly, Vol. 1: The Shrike by Kelly Sue DeConnick and Emma Ríos









Kelly Sue DeConnick (Avengers Assemble, Captain Marvel) and Emma Ríos (Dr. Strange, Osborn) present the collected opening arc of their surprise-hit series that marries the magical realism of Sandman with the western brutality of Preacher. Death's daughter rides the wind on a horse made of smoke and her face bears the skull marks of her father. Her origin story is a tale of retribution as beautifully lush as it is unflinchingly savage.
I'm sure you've already heard about Pretty Deadly, or at least it seems to be quite popular.
To be honest, at first I was quite confused, by both the story and the art. So I can see how it might be something not everyone will enjoy. However, once I understood its ways, I was in love. I really like the little details in the story, like the butterflies. The word psyche has Greek origins and it means soul but also a butterfly. There are probably other things like that which have escaped me.



I can't really tell you what it's about without spoiling it. But if you like folklore and mythology, and dark and complex stories, this might be something for you. It's definitely challenging on all levels, in the best way possible. I'm really looking forward to reading the next volume.

Rating:


Edward Scissorhands Volume 1: Parts Unknown (Edward Scissorhands, #1) by Kate Leth and Drew Rausch (e-ARC)

 




An all-new adventure revisiting Edward Scissorhands' two decades after the end of the fan-favorite movie! In a castle just outside a sleepy suburban town, a brilliant inventor created Edward Scissorhands... but left him tragically unfinished. Two generations of exile have left Edward digging through abandoned experiments, but once he wakes up a creature left buried, he discovers he isn't the only one missing a vital piece. As Edward tries to fix a grave mistake, he comes face-to-face with a teenage girl who was sure he was only myth... despite the stories her grandmother told her about the man she could never touch.
Who doesn't love Edward Scissorhands? I was so glad when I spotted this on NetGalley. I enjoyed the story and I liked the art. It wasn't totally mind-blowing, but there were some strong moments. Also, I think next volumes will get better. I'm definitely going to read the next volume.

Rating:

2 comments:

Megan R said...

Pretty Deadly sounds amazing! Can't wait to pick it up.

Haley Scully said...

I've been wanting to read Pretty Deadly for a while now, so I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. I think it sounds great.

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! :)