Review: Rat Queens, Vol. 1: Sass & Sorcery

Rat Queens, Vol. 1: Sass & Sorcery by Kurtis J. Wiebe (Writer), Roc Upchurch (Illustrator)




Who are the Rat Queens?

A pack of booze-guzzling, death-dealing battle maidens-for-hire, and they're in the business of killing all god's creatures for profit.

It's also a darkly comedic sass-and-sorcery series starring Hannah the Rockabilly Elven Mage, Violet the Hipster Dwarven Fighter, Dee the Atheist Human Cleric and Betty the Hippy Smidgen Thief. This modern spin on an old school genre is a violent monster-killing epic that is like Buffy meets Tank Girl in a Lord of the Rings world on crack!

Collecting Rat Queens #1-5!
Note: I've just found out this happened.

I have to admit I don't read comics and graphic novels that much, so I decided to change it. I think starting with Rat Queens was a great idea.

I always enjoy complex and believable characters and especially complex and believable female characters. In Rat Queens there are four of them. Hannah, Violet, Dee, and Betty. They have very distinctive personalities and their friendship is portrayed in a very realistic way. I like each one of them for very different reasons. Though I have to admit after seeing Dee reading a book and being very uncomfortable while at a party, I knew she's my favourite character.
It's not just how they act, it's also about how they look; or more precisely how they are pictured. Rat Queens are all about diversity. I really like the art, so I'm curious about the new artist.

The story was gripping and I liked all the twists and turns. There were a few great jokes and a lot of subtle hints, allusions, and references. I thoroughly enjoyed this! It was a fun and wild ride and I'm looking forward to the next volume!

Rating:




2 comments:

DMS said...

I love graphic novels, but haven't read this one. Will definitely have to check it out now. Thanks for sharing this with us. It sounds fun! :)
~Jess

Blue Eyed Night Owl said...

Yes, I've heard many great things about this:) And I love that it's such a bad-ass female cast!

I do love comic books but hardly ever get them because the money-to-time-you-actual-get-to-spend-reading ratio just makes it hard for me to justify buying many. For instance I bought and read Fables volume 1. Then I got the second ages ago but don't want to read it because I know I'll want to get the 3rd, haha...

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! :)