Review: Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices #2) by Cassandra Clare


In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has at last found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when rogue forces in the Clave plot to see her protector, Charlotte, replaced as head of the Institute. If Charlotte loses her position, Tessa will be out on the street—and easy prey for the mysterious Magister, who wants to use Tessa’s powers for his own dark ends.

With the help of the handsome, self-destructive Will and the fiercely devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister’s war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal. He blames them for a long-ago tragedy that shattered his life. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors, from the slums of London to an enchanted ballroom where Tessa discovers that the truth of her parentage is more sinister than she had imagined. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister himself knows their every move—and that one of their own has betrayed them.

After reading Clockwork Prince I consider myself a Cassandra Clare fan. She just knows how to write a gripping story with a perfect balance of adventure, humour, sad (I would even go so far and say devastating) moments, and romance. She includes some clich├ęs which I normally don't enjoy very much, but somehow she manages to put everything together and make it seem and sound amazing.

There is lots of complexity. Every part of the story somehow connects to other parts and all little details make sense in the end. And speaking of complexity, her characters are the best ones in YA genre I've ever read. And not just the main characters, but all of them! She pays attention to everyone, explores their story, and through that she turns them into very believable characters.

It is also obvious that Clare did her research and that is always something I appreciate and need to point out. And I love that literature plays important role here, and also the clear obsession Clare has with A Tale of Two Cities. :)

There are also things in the story which show and support open-mindedness and respect for other (human) beings. For example the way Shadowhunters see women (especially in Victorian era), equal to men. Well, at least most of them. Yes, I'm looking at you Benedict, you demon poxy bastard. Or the effortless way Magnus Bane's sexuality is pictured. 

All in all, this was fun and adventurous book with enjoyable romance, and with especially great and believable characters.


And now for something completely different: ranting and spoilers. In no particular order. It might not even make sense.

I'm not sure where to start, so maybe I can just say that at one point I wasn't sure who was more pathetic. Jessamine or Nathaniel? Then I realized I actually felt sorry for Jessie, but Nate made me sick all the time.
Jem. Tessa. Will.
Let's start with Will. At the beginning he was getting on my nerves a bit, but I still liked him. But... he waited five years to do anything about his curse? Five years? Really? And he didn't tell Jem? Why? But then again, I kind of understand, he was scared and hurt and generally in a very undesirable situation. And the only thing that kept him going (besides Jem) were books. And the moment he told Tessa everything about it and about reading her letters and everything else. And she told him about the engagement. That was the worst, saddest, and most beautiful moment in the whole story. I wanted to burn myself as Tessa did.
And Tessa, she is the rare example (along with Sophie Mercer) of a YA heroine whose actions don't irritate me. She is kind and clever, and she loves books! And though she is not a kick-ass heroine, she became even stronger and braver in this book. And she is not afraid to fight for what she believes is right.
And Jem, well, I adore him. He might be delicate when it comes to his health, but otherwise there is so much strength and kindness in him, it's admirable. And he loves animals!
I should probably stop now, because I could write and write and never stop.

The last thing I want to say though is: Demon Pox!


Rating:

 



  

2 comments:

Ula (Blog of Erised) said...

This book was my fave in the series but the she ruined it with the last one. I really hope she won't make 4-6 here as well. :L
Nathaniel sucked and Jessie as well. Basically my favorite in all the books was probably Sophie. :D The rest annoyed me one time or the other.

Petra said...

My friend told me they were all drama queens at the beginning of the third book. So I'm curious! :D And I've read more slightly disappointed reviews, which makes me even more curious! :D

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! :)