Quick Review: Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops by Jen Campbell

Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops by Jen Campbell

From the hugely popular blog, a miscellany of hilarious and peculiar bookshop moments:
'Can books conduct electricity?'
'My children are just climbing your bookshelves: that's ok... isn't it?'


A John Cleese Twitter question ['What is your pet peeve?'], first sparked the 'Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops' blog, which grew over three years into one bookseller's collection of ridiculous conversations on the shop floor.

From 'Did Beatrix Potter ever write a book about dinosaurs?' to the hunt for a paperback which could forecast the next year's weather; and from 'I've forgotten my glasses, please read me the first chapter' to'Excuse me... is this book edible?'


This full-length collection illustrated by the Brothers McLeod also includes top 'Weird Things' from bookshops around the world.

This hilarious book is divided into three sections. In the first part Jen shares her stories from a bookshop in Edinburgh, where she used to work. The second part is about Jen's conversations with customers from Ripping Yarns, a bookshop where she works now. The last part is dedicated to stories from different bookshops from all over the world.

CUSTOMER: You know that film, Coraline?
BOOKSELLER: Yes, indeed.
CUSTOMER: My daughter loves it. Are they going to make it into a book?

There are really funny and sweet stories, some very awkward, and some quite sad. You will laugh hysterically while fighting the urge to introduce your head to your desk. It's hilarious. :) And the second book, More Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops, is out this month.

3 comments:

selkiereads said...

This sounds so fun! i haven't paid much attention to this book before, but it seems like quite the read.

- Ellie at The Selkie Reads Stories

Vicky @ Books, Biscuits, and Tea said...

I've seen this one a lot but I wasn't sure if it'd be my cup of tea. It does sound funny, though! :) Maybe I should give it a try.

Petra said...

You should both read it! :)

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! :)