Review: Votes for Vixens

Votes for Vixens by Tara Chevrestt 


Elizabeth is a small-town Kansas girl who has grown up under her domineering father's shadow. When she finds out that her father has denied her hand in marriage to the town's most eligible bachelor--a man she's long secretly desired--she snaps. Her father punches her for the last time. She realizes she has no future and with stories of suffragettes, women's rights, and voting in her head, vows to be free.

She escapes to New York City where she meets Margaret. Margaret believes in the right to vote for women and engages Elizabeth to join in the National Women's Party activities.

Operation: Opera House is underway. In a month's time, President Wilson is due at the Metropolitan Opera House to give a speech. The NWP hopes that a peaceful protest will convince the president to gather congress in order to ratify the 19th Amendment.

As they prepare and plan, Margaret shows Elizabeth how to live and love. Under Margaret's sensual touch, Elizabeth begins to heal from numerous emotional wounds. But on March 4th, 1919, their "peaceful protest" becomes a riot on the streets of New York.

A riot ensues in Elizabeth's heart as well when her former flame shows up in the city…

I hadn't read any books by this author when I spotted Votes for Vixens. But I was instantly intrigued because of the word vixens in the title, and because of the cover. The synopsis sounded great as well.
So I bought an e-copy for my Kindle and started reading immediately. And I wasn't disappointed.:)
 
Even though this book is quite short, Chevrestt managed to flesh out most of the characters well, which is impressive. I also like how the various emotions and things like hopelessness, fear, numbness, tenderness, hope, and love were captured nicely and felt very real. I really enjoyed this story, even though there were some pretty painful moments.
I also appreciated the informations about suffragettes that were nicely woven into the story.

Votes for Vixens is a story of a woman and her long and distressful path to happiness told on the background of times when the fate of all women was changing.


Rating:

1 comment:

Petra said...

I said that I was intrigued by the word vixens in the title, but I think the whole title is very intriguing! :)

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! :)