Review: Snow White Blood Red & Ashes to Ashes and Cinder to Cinder (The Grimm Diaries Prequels) by Cameron Jace



There is a new series called The Grimm Diaries by Cameron Jace. As the title suggests it's all about (retelling) fairy-tales. So far only one book is out, but there are many prequels, which give the reader an idea what this series is going to be like. I've read two prequels. One was really great and enjoyable, the other not that much.

Snow White Blood Red (The Grimm Diaries Prequels #1) by Cameron Jace

What if all you knew about fairy tales was wrong?

Book description of Snow White Blood Red: A Grimm Diaries Prequel as told by the Snow White Queen:

I have always wondered why you never asked about my name. Was I so superficial to you? So stereotypical and mundane? Why did you treat me as if I were just the monster of the week? You know what I think? You never had the time to really hate me. You wanted to hate me, long before you even met me. You wanted to scrape my existence and avenge your childhood princess by laying all blame on me. What if they didn’t call me the Evil Queen, what if I told you the real story from my point of view instead of hers, would you ever think of me as an angel? Could I ever make you care? I know that deep inside of you, you adore me,but you’re just scared, afraid to admit how much you love the Snow White Queen.

This Grimm Diaries Prequels are a number of short books in the form of epistolary diary entries. The diaries are more of teasers for the upcoming series: The Grimm Diaries, allowing you to get a glimpse of what to expect of the series.

I liked this one a lot. I loved its dark and sinister atmosphere, which reflected the twisted character of Snow White. Here she is not the lovely and innocent princess we all know. Or at least that is what her mother (yes, mother, not stepmother) claims. And that's another great thing about this story. One can't ever be sure how reliable the narrator is. There's loads of ambiguity in here, and that's always good! 
The only thing I didn't like was the number the typos, but then again, Jace is an indie writer, so I can kind of overlook that, especially when the story is quite exciting.

Rating:




Ashes to Ashes and Cinder to Cinder (The Grimm Diaries Prequels #2) by Cameron Jace

What if all you knew about fairy tales was wrong?

Book description of Ashes to Ashes and Cinder to Cinder: A Grimm Diaries Prequel as told by Alice Grimm:

Seventeen-year-old Alice Grimm lives a dangerously enchanted life. Other than being distracted by a Dreamhunter called Loki Blackstar who has a heart of gold but acts like a jerk, she has a job to do. Being a descendant of the Brothers Grimm, she is one of few in the world who can locate the fairy tale characters and remind them of who they are. This time, Alice flies to Venice where an 800 hundred year old witch's skeleton surrounded with seventeen glass slippers was found by archeologists in the city that invented the art of glassblowing. When Alice and Loki follow the lead, they find one of the fairy tale characters she had been searching for. It's a famous girl character that you know by name, but never really knew what actually happened to her.

This Grimm Diaries Prequels are a number of short books in the form of epistolary diary entries. The diaries are more of teasers for the upcoming series: The Grimm Diaries, allowing you to get a glimpse of what to expect of the series.

This on the other hand was quite a disappointment after Snow White Blood Red. At first it looked really great, I even highlighted this quote:

"As I travelled from Germany to Venice, I was curious to see the corpse: an 800-year-old Italian witch, found by archaeologists with seven nails driven into her jaw.
Gruesome stuff. My perfect taste."

But from the moment Alice Grimm and her new friend Bella met Loki Blackstar, it went all downhill for me. It was like the worst paranormal YA I've ever read. I just can't take any more "hot boys" and other shallow and meaningless things. Just no.
And in this case I could not overlook the typos and errors.
The one thing I enjoyed though was the idea of travelling into the dreams of the fairy-tale characters. If you liked Inception, you would like this as well.

Rating:
 
 

1 comment:

DMS said...

Snow White Blood Ref sounds sooooo good! I adore the cover and look forward to reading it. Thanks for sharing. :)
~Jess

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! :)