Review: Endless Night

Hosted by The Crafty Book Nerd. 


 Endless Night by Agatha Christie








When penniless Michael Rogers discovers the beautiful house at Gypsy's Acre and then meets the heiress Ellie, it seems that all his dreams have come true at once. But he ignores an old woman's warning of an ancient curse, and evil begins to stir in paradise. As Michael soon learns: Gypsy's Acre is the place where fatal "accidents" happen.



"Every night and every morn 
Some to misery are born, 
Every morn and every night 
Some are born to sweet delight.  

Some are born to sweet delight, 
Some are born to endless night."

William Blake


I have to admit I bought this book especially because of the gothic feel. I mean the raven and the moon on the cover, the curse mentioned in the synopsis. And then I found out it was named after a line from a poem by William Blake. I couldn't leave without it.

Mike Rogers is the main character and also the narrator of the story. At the beginning he was rather chaotic and I wasn't sure about this whole book. But later on the story become really sinister, even though nothing seriously bad happened. But many characters were introduced and I started to suspect that person then someone else. In the end I was suspecting everyone! All the characters were ambiguous and I couldn't tell what they were really like. What they really wanted.

The whole time there was the constant feeling that there was something very wrong, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Overall the book has a serious tone. Don't expect witty remarks about English cuisine or other cultural jokes, no dry sense of humour. This is nothing like Poirot or Marple. 

I really liked all of that, yet it wasn't the best book by Christie I've read. Many things from this story I have already seen in her other books, which I liked better. All in all, this was a really dark mystery with a double twist at the end. Not superb, but still enjoyable.

Rating:

 
 

 

4 comments:

Vicky @ Books, Biscuits, and Tea said...

This is actually one of those Christie books I haven't really heard much about - so thanks for the heads up! I love the fact that she manages to make us suspect every single one of them, in almost every one of her books :) Too bad it wasn't the best you've read, though.

Petra said...

It wasn't the best, but it was still really good! :)
I love all her books, even though some are just better than others. :)

Carina Olsen said...

Not sure if this book is for me at all, but it does sound pretty amazing :D I'm glad you kind of liked it, but sorry you didn't love it :\ Thank you for your honest review, though. <3
Thank you for commenting on my mailbox. <3
Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

DMS said...

Great review! I have read other books by her- but I haven't read this one. I can see why you were drawn to it. Thanks for sharing!
~Jess

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! :)