Blog Tour: Shadow of Time



Shadow of Time by Jen Minkman




All Hannah needs is a nice and quiet vacation after her first year of teaching French at a high school. She joins her brother Ben for the summer in their mom’s log cabin in Arizona. There, she meets Josh again, Ben’s childhood friend from the Navajo reservation. The little boy from the rez has grown up fast, and Hannah can’t help but feeling more for him than just friendship.

But fate apparently has something else in store for her. And it’s not peace and quiet. Night after night, Hannah is plagued by strange nightmares about the past of Navajo Nation and terrifying shadows chasing her. They seem to come closer – and why is Josh always present in her dreams?

Sometimes, the past has a way of catching up with you.

The book is available at amazon.com, amazon.de, and will be available at Smashwords from March 14th.

About the Author:

Twitter Goodreads Web Facebook


Jen Minkman (1978) was born in Holland, in the town of Alphen aan den Rijn. When she was 19, she moved between The Hague, Salzburg (Austria), Brussels (Belgium) and Cambridge (UK) to complete her studies in intercultural communication. She is currently a teacher of English, career counsellor and teenage coach at a secondary school in Voorburg, Holland. She tries to read at least 100 books a year (and write a few, too!). She is a published author in her own country, and translates her own books from Dutch into English for self-publication.
In her spare time, she plays the piano, the guitar and the violin. For every novel she writes, she creates a soundtrack.

'I have always been drawn to writing. My first book was a sci-fi novel at the age of eight, which I painstakingly typed out on my dad's typewriter and illustrated myself. Nowadays, I stick to poetry, paranormal romance, chicklit and/or fantasy. In my home country, I am the first-ever published writer of paranormal romance, and I will gradually make my books also available in English (seeing I have to re-write and translate the books myself, this will take some time!).'

Review:

I'm quite picky when it comes to romance (and even more picky when it comes to chick lit). But this paranormal romance sounded very interesting, especially because there was supposed to be a lot of Navajo lore in the story. And I can't resist anything that touches folklore and mythology, and Nature oriented beliefs. 

First of all, I think this book isn't just a paranormal romance, it's also a paranormal mystery/thriller, and that makes it even better.
I have to admit that at the beginning there were some little things that I didn't enjoy that much. I just don't like the word hunk, sorry. :)
But apart from that this was really enjoyable and fun read. There are some things that I especially liked about this novel which I want to highlight.
Firstly, the story was very well structured! Pieces of information were revealed at the right time, so it helped the dynamics of the story and it also created great atmosphere! 
Speaking of atmosphere, other thing I loved about this book were the scary moments. The author was able to create really sinister, creepy, and disturbing scenes.
Thirdly, there was obviously a great amount of research done on Navajo Nation, their traditions and lore, language, and history. This I appreciate very much. Sadly, there are many books (especially historical fiction) by authors who don't know so much about the era they're writing about and it's often obvious. So it's nice to see an author who takes this seriously. Also, it's a European person writing about Native Americans, so doing a good research is especially appropriate.
And I have to admit my favourite parts were the ones where the knowledge of Navajo Nation and their history played an important role. :)

All in all, this was a really enjoyable paranormal mystery with a great portion of romance.

Rating:







Giveaway:

The author generously offered one copy of Shadow of Time. One winner will get paperback in case they are from the US, or e-copy in case they are from the rest of the world. Good luck everyone! :)
The winner will be contacted directly by the author.
 
a Rafflecopter giveaway

7 comments:

Samantha Martin said...

Great review Hazel. I put your review up on my sight, to help spread the word :D www.teenblurb.org/journal

Samantha Martin said...

I added your button under "Bloggers United" as well!

Petra said...

Thank you so much! I think the author will appreciate this as well! :) And I followed your blog through Linky and email. :)

Jen Minkman said...

Thanks for posting Petra :) I am honoured my blog tour started off with such a positive review of my book!

Book Whales said...

Ohhh Nice Review :DThanks for the chance to win

-Dannielle

Petra said...

@Jen
My pleasure. :)

DMS said...

I missed this giveaway- but the review is awesome. I love the cover and I can't wait to check this one out! THANKS!
~Jess

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! :)