Review: Demonglass (Hex Hall #2)

  

Demonglass (Hex Hall #2) by Rachel Hawkins



Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch, which was why she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shape-shifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered she's a "demon," and her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping her kind off the face of the earth. What's worse, Sophie has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is why she decides to go to London for the Removal, a risky procedure that will either destroy her powers forever--or kill her. But once Sophie arrives, she makes a shocking discovery: "someone" is raising new demons in secret and planning to use their powers to destroy the world. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they're using Acher to do it. But it's not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?

If you read my review of Hex Hall, you already know I loved the first book. When I finally picked up Demonglass, the second book in the trilogy, I was both excited and a bit nervous. You know how the second books in series can be, right? It sometimes feels like they are just some kind of random text that's supposed to connect the promising first book with the exciting final book. This is so not the case of Demonglass. In fact, I think Demonglass was even better than the first book. A lot better.

Basically, all the five points I mentioned last time are still true. Only everything is even more intensive.
Sophie Mercer is definitely my favourite YA heroine, and Archer Cross is my favourite YA boy (closely followed by Jem & Will from TID). And the way these two interact, just amazing! So much snappiness, wittiness, tension, and yet so much affection. Rachel Hawkins did an amazing job fleshing out these two characters through their dialogues. And in general, all the dialogues were fun and witty, and all the characters were fleshed out nicely. Speaking of characters, Sophie's father was just adorable, because:

“I wondered if there were ever times when Dad didn't sound like he escaped from a Jane Austen novel.” 

&

 “Dad was at his desk when I opened the door, doing what all British people do when they're freaked out: drinking tea.”  

I enjoyed the fragile relationship that was slowly built between Sophie and her dad.
 
The story itself was great, too. There was no boring moment. Everything was timed perfectly, the story flowed nicely. 
I've already read the last book in the trilogy, Spell Bound, and I think it's safe to say that Hex Hall is my favourite paranormal YA trilogy/series of all time.

"She was my assignment." 
"From The Eye?" 
"No, from the Boy Scouts. That Witch Dating badge just kept eluding me." 
"Well, you must have at least three Total Douchebag badges by now, so that has to count for something.”


Rating:

 

2 comments:

Book Whales said...

I always admire the cover photos of this series :D Thanks for the great review.

-Dannielle

Melissas Eclectic Bookshelf said...

Wow...this one was as good if not better than the first? I really need to give this series a go!

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! :)