Interview: Anya Wylde

Today I have an interview with Anya Wylde for you. She is the author of The Wicked Wager.

Goodreads  Twitter Amazon US Amazon UK


Anya Wylde lives in Ireland along with her husband and a fat French poodle (now on a diet). She can cook a mean curry, and her idea of exercise is occasionally stretching her toes. She holds a degree in English literature and adores reading and writing.

1) Hello Anya, thank you for joining us today. Could you please introduce yourself? 

Thank you, Petra, for inviting me on your blog.   
I am an author and my debut novel ‘The Wicked Wager’ has recently been launched. I live in Ireland along with my husband and my adorable poodle.

2) Can you shortly describe what is your book The Wicked Wager about? 

My book ‘The Wicked Wager’ borrows from farcical plays popular during the Regency era. It is a humorous murder mystery with plenty of romance. The novel comprises of happy, relatable characters. Richard the protagonist is a reformed rake, spoilt, and extremely naughty. He falls in love with Emma Grey who is equally rebellious. Richard wants to marry Emma as soon as possible, but Emma’s uncle the Duke of Arden objects to a hurried wedding. Richard concocts a ridiculous plan to speed up the trip to the altar. The simple plan turns complicated. The deceit and the lies pile up and soon the couple find themselves in a bit of a pickle. 


3) Why Regency England? 

I adore the romantic, gothic atmosphere of the Regency era. It was a complex era with undercurrents of simmering frustration. The strict society reigned in passions, and that in turn led to secret love affairs. Scandals raged over all of prim England.  It was a fascinating time that gave me the perfect backdrop for humour, romance, and murder.

4) Are you working on other books? 

Yes, I am currently working on a Regency romance called ‘Penelope’. It is a humorous tale of a young country bumpkin who arrives in London along with Lady Bathsheba (her pet goat) to find a man to marry.  After that I will start working on a Regency mystery series.

5) Who are your favourite writers and what are your favourite books? 

My favourite writers vary depending on my mood. At the moment, I am reading a few fantasy novels and in that genre I love Robert Jordon, Patrick Rothfuss and Trudi Canavan

6) What's your favourite myth? 

I love the Irish stories of Selkies. They are tragic, romantic myths that recount numerous tales of men finding beautiful girls along the shores of Ireland. Some end up marrying these girls only to find them pining away for the sea. The girls turn out to be creatures of the sea that shed their speckled seal skin to walk on land. They can return to the sea only if they find their skins.

7) Your favourite place in the world? 

My favourite place in the whole world is anywhere that my husband is. Clichéd as it sounds, it is still true. 


8) Anything you'd like to add? 

Thank you for having me on your blog.


Quick questions: 

Tea or coffee? Tea or specifically, Barry's tea (it is an Irish brand).
Miss Marple or Hercule Poirot? Poirot and his little grey cells.
Autumn or Spring? Autumn. I love the colors.
City or country? I am a city girl.
Harry Potter or LOTR? Harry Potter because I haven't grown up.
Beer or cider? I don't like beer or cider. I normally stick to red wine.

2 comments:

DMS said...

What an awesome interview! I agree with her about HP over LOTR. I can't get enough of Harry Potter. Her book sounds fascinating and I am curious to know more about it. The era it was based on sounds fun!
~Jess

Petra said...

Thank you. Yes, I agree about HP as well! :)
Yes, Regency era is definitely fun. :)

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! :)