Review: A Christmas Carol - The Night That Changed the Life of Eliza Scrooge

A Christmas Carol - The Night that Changed the Life of Eliza Scrooge by Rod Espinosa



*E-copy received through NetGalley.
 
Publisher: Dark Horse Comics

Pub Date: October 03, 2012







Charles Dickens’s holiday classic, A Christmas Carol, is given a fresh twist—with a female Scrooge! Rod Espinosa (The Courageous Princess) adapts and illustrates this story of the miserly Eliza Scrooge, who is visited by the ghosts of the past, present, and future on one fateful Christmas eve.


I don't read graphic novels/comics that often, but when I saw this one, I immediately knew I have to read it. Because it's
A Christmas Carol retelling and I was so curious to see how this classic would work as a graphic novel.

Did it work? It did and it didn't.
The opening was amazing! There was the beautiful Victorian London covered with snow with children playing in it. Very merry atmosphere, because it's Christmas time. Pure happiness. But then what a horror, Eliza Scrooge arrived, and all the happiness was gone. This was really impressive and captured the essence of A Christmas Carol well. I also liked the little twist when it comes to the main character. In the original there is Ebenezer Scrooge, here we have his female version, Eliza Scrooge.

However, there were two things that slightly bothered me. The first one is very personal and subjective. I'm not the biggest fan of manga and anime. The author/illustrator is obviously manga/anime artist, and it shows in this graphic novel as well. Though most of the time it was good and I really enjoyed it. But there were a few parts when it was so anime/manga-ish I didn't like it together with a story set in Victorian times. It just didn't work for me.
The second thing is the lack of the Dickensian wittiness and his observant comments. The original story works so well thanks to these things, because without them it's a quite dry, moralistic story, isn't it? (OK, the ghosts are pretty cool, too.)

I hope I didn't sound too harsh, because even though I had a few complaints, I still enjoyed this graphic novel. It's something I would surely welcome on my shelves.

Rating:




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! :)