Review: Hex Hall



 Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) by Rachel Hawkins


Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.
By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new room-mate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.
As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.

This is another YA book that stands out in its genre, at least for me. 
Firstly, the main character is adorable. Sophie Mercer is witty, intelligent, loyal, but also a bit silly, and sometimes slightly awkward (I can definitely relate to that one :D). She made me laugh out loud countless times. She is a believable character, not too good, or too bad. This can be said about many other characters in the book as well.

Secondly, I like the setting. I know that some people might be tired of boarding schools, but honestly I just love them!

Thirdly, I liked the plot. I've heard some people say that it was not the most original story. I can't agree, at all. The plot was complicated, had many layers, yet it was executed in a clear way. Everything was woven together nicely.

Fourthly, the romance here was seriously enjoyable. No insta-love, yeah! The attraction was built slowly and there was nice tension between Sophie and Archer. It seems like there's going to be a love triangle in the next book and I really don't mind that. My only requirement is that Sophie ends up with Archer. :P

Fifthly, I was never bored. This was one enjoyable ride. And you know how sometimes when you finish a book, you have to immediately order the next one in the series? Well, I ordered Demonglass while still reading Hex Hall. I think that says it all. :)


Rating:


3 comments:

Veronika said...

I read all the 3 Hex Hall books! they're all awesome! I loved Sophie and her sarcastic and witty comments :)

Neysa Kristanti said...

Totally love this series :D

It's funny, witty, and Sophie is just amazing!
Total awesomeness for Rachel Hawkins

Melissas Eclectic Bookshelf said...

I need to add this to my TBR:)

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! :)