Review: On the Day I Died

 On the Day I Died: Stories from the Grave by Candace Fleming

*eARC copy received through NetGalley.

Publisher:    Random House Children's Books
Pub Date:    July 10, 2012 
ISBN:         9780375867811 


The phenomenally versatile, award-winning author, Candace Fleming, gives teen and older tween readers ten ghost stories sure to send chills up their spines. Set in White Cemetery, an actual graveyard outside Chicago, each story takes place during a different time period from the 1860's to the present, and ends with the narrator's death. Some teens die heroically, others ironically, but all due to supernatural causes. Readers will meet walking corpses and witness demonic posession, all against the backdrop of Chicago's rich history—the Great Depression, the World's Fair, Al Capone and his fellow gangsters.


Creepy! I enjoyed this book a lot! There was only one story that I didn't like that much, but it was mostly because of its theme, not because of how it was written. The author is very skilled at creating dark, gothic atmosphere and interesting characters in a short time. And that's quite handy when you write a short-story collection.

At the end of the book the author talks about her inspiration and background for each story. She mentions The Alfred Hitchcock Hour she used to watch with her sister when they were little children. I loved to watch it, too, and I remember the weird, creepy feeling I was left with when an episode ended. Some of the stories in this book made me feel the same way.

Obviously the author researched a lot, as every story takes place in a different time and every one of them feels authentic when it comes to capturing the zeitgeist. The attention the author paid to little details was amazing. I also liked the other little things that made the stories special, like for example in one story, where the main character is Edgar and another character there is Mrs. Usher!


This is a well-written collection of scary ghost stories!


Rating:





3 comments:

StephanieD said...

As if the topic of different ways people died wasn't enough of an inducement to read this book, then the Alfred Hitchcock influence surely is!

DMS said...

This sounds like a great read for the fall! I always love spooky tales in October. I love the cover! It is beautiful.
~Jess

Katharyn Vela said...

I've never heard of this book before but it sounds right up my alley! I love books like these! Great review! :)

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! :)