Review: Fated by Alyson Noel

Fated (The Soul Seekers #1) by Alyson Noel


* Proof copy received from the publisher.

Publisher: Macmillan Children's Books 

Pub Date: May 24th 2012

Strange things are happening to Daire Santos. Crows mock her, glowing people stalk her, time stops without warning, and a beautiful boy with unearthly blue eyes haunts all her dreams. Fearing for her daughter’s sanity, Daire’s mother sends her to live with the grandmother she’s never met. A woman who recognizes the visions for what they truly are—the call to her destiny as a Soul Seeker—one who can navigate the worlds between the living and dead.

There on the dusty plains of Enchantment, New Mexico, Daire sets out to harness her mystical powers. But it’s when she meets Dace, the boy from her dreams, that her whole world is shaken to its core. Now Daire is forced to discover if Dace is the one guy she's meant to be with...or if he’s allied with the enemy she's destined to destroy.

Let me just start by saying I hadn't read anything by this author when this book caught my attention. I was so curious about the whole Native American theme that I ignored my lack of knowledge of the author's previous work and some of the not so positive reviews of Fated I'd read. I decided to see for myself whether I like the book or not. And I'm so glad I did, because this is, in my humble opinion, a paranormal YA par excellence!

Daire is on the road all her life, from one movie set to another, as her mother happens to be a successful make-up artist. There is no permanent home for the two of them, so there is no room for any friendships or relationships. That's why Daire is a rather cynical young girl who can't let herself care for anyone. She is not happy, but somewhat content. But lately these weird hallucinations started to bother her, and when she experiences a total break down while in Morocco, the future seems pretty bad for her. The only option, besides being drugged all the time in a madhouse, is to go live with her grandmother who claims to know how to help her. And sure she does. With moving into a small town in New Mexico a completely new life begins. Daire learns she is a Seeker, a person who is supposed to keep balance in the world(s) by stopping certain people from using their magic for their evil plans.


I seriously enjoyed the parts of Daire's initiation, all her spiritual and mystical experience while she was guided by Paloma, her grandmother. It was fascinating to follow the change, to see how her character developed. But the best part was the beautiful and strong relationship between Daire and her grandmother that arose out of it.
I think Daire was likeable from the very beginning, even though slightly bratty at times and quite cynical, but still likable. At least for me. But since she met Paloma, she turned into a character I really liked. Paloma was a great character as well. Wise, strong, and kind, providing Daire with a home she so desperately needed.
When it comes to romance, I'm so happy that there was no single "I love you" in this book, and that the relationship is based on much more than just the good looks of the guy. Also, Daire's love interest isn't the only thing that matters to her. She knows her purpose.
The story itself was pretty good as well, though there is still a lot to learn for both the reader and Daire.
All the aspects of this book were intertwined nicely and together created a captivating story full of Native American lore. I can't wait to read the sequel.

BTW, the Mick Jagger joke made me laugh out loud. :)

Rating:





17 comments:

Melissas Eclectic Bookshelf said...

I really loved the way she incorporated the native american lore into this one as well!

Petra said...

Right? It was great! :)

Fairday Morrow said...

I love the cover! Awesome review! This book sounds very intriguing! I am curious about the crows and the Native American lore.

~Jess

Zemira Djedović said...

This sounds great. I am not a huge fan of Alyson Noel but I have to admit this books seems like nothing else she wrote.

fredamans said...

Love your review! It's the native heritage that first caught my attention too, since I too am Native. I keep hearing great things about it and Alyson's writing too, which makes me pine for it more.

elaing8 said...

I really like Alyson's books.I'm looking forward to reading this one. Great review.

stilettostorytime said...

I am so glad to hear you liked this book so much...I have it in my TBR pile and I really need to get to it. Thanks for the review!

Courtney
Stiletto Storytime

Petra said...

I hope you all will like it! :)

@Zemira
Yeah, from what I've heard this series is going to be really different. :)

@fredamans
It caught my attention, too, it always does. :)

iloverocky27 said...

Awesome review, got me really pumped to read the book :)

~London

Danielle B! said...

I'm so glad this book has a Native American theme. I think YA needs to be more diversified :D

Sweet Scent said...

Sounds interesting. I'll be sure to check it out! I've read Alyson Noel's Evermore and didn't really enjoy it. I hope I would enjoy Fated.

Book Whales YA Reviews said...

Alsyon will visit our country this July 20! It will be cool if I win this. :D

Thanks for the chance to win -Dannielle/ TheUnseelieNerd

miscellaneous said...

I want this book. awesome. Great review

-wni

starryabigail said...

This book sounds great! I really want to read it-it's on my TBR list! Great review!

Kara D. said...

Good review. Sounds awesome. I like this author!

Kath said...

Awesome review! I read only one book by Alyson but this one sounds really good! :)

Maria_M. said...

This book is my next read! Can't wait to start it(:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! :)