Review: Fantastic Mr. Fox

Fantastic Mr. Fox by Roald Dahl
















Fantastic Mr. Fox is on the run! The three meanest farmers around are out to get him. Fat Boggis, squat Bunce, and skinny Bean have joined forces, and they have Mr. Fox and his family surrounded. What they don’t know is that they’re not dealing with just any fox–Mr. Fox would never surrender. But only the most fantastic plan ever can save him now.


"Boggis and Bunce and Bean
One fat, one short, one lean. 
These horrible crooks 
So different in looks
Were none the less equally mean."


This tiny book is one of the famous children's classics. It was very enjoyable and clever read!
I've read many reviews and noticed that some people weren't happy that the book is so naturalistic, like for example when Mr. Fox eats chicken. This is actually what I really like about the story. I think children are often underestimated when it comes to comprehending some books and things in them. Of course I don't support violence, but a fox eating a chicken is just natural.
Another thing I really appreciate about this book is how well it portrays people and our gluttony. The three mean farmers represent the worst of our kind. They are arrogant, cruel, and incredibly greedy. Just to get Mr. Fox they destroy a big part of wild nature and while doing so they terrorize their own people. It made me feel sad, because this shows the human nature so very well. And on the other hand, there is Mr. Fox and his other animal friends who take and eat only as much food as they really need. This is something children should learn early in their lives and something we adults should remind ourselves of often.
The last thing that made this story enjoyable was the British sense of humour. I can't ever get enough of it! :)
This was the second book by Roald Dahl I've read and I'm definitely reading more. Based on his writing, he was a great, witty, and clever man.

Rating:




12 comments:

Fairday Morrow said...

Awesome review- I definitely want to read this book! I agree with you- Roald Dahl was a very clever man! I have read and enjoyed The BFG, James and the Giant Peach, The Witches, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and a few others. They have all been fun! Happy reading!
~Jess
P.S. I love your blog layout and design. So appealing!

Petra said...

Thank you for your kind words! :)
I'm planning to read The Witches next, and I also have a collection of his short stories, which sounds amazing!

C.M.Brown said...

A very clever man with lots of really interesting children's books under his belt.

Emma B. said...

I loved all the Roald Dahl books when I was little. I think my favorites were "James and the Giant Peach" and "The Twits".

Cordelia Fitzgerald said...

Oh my gosh, this brings back so many childhood memories.
No one can spin a story like Roald Dahl!

andrea b said...

This one was one of my favorites when I was a kid! I don't even remember thinking anything strange about them eating chickens, it's just the way things are, right?
Anyway, now I feel like I should probably reread it and watch the movie... (have you seen it? I have a friend who is a huge fan)

Petra said...

Thank you all for stopping by! :)

@C.M.Brown
Exactly! :)

@andrea b
I haven't seen the movie yet, but one of my friends loves it! :)

Heidi Grange said...

Roald Dahl, my students love reading his books. I like some of them, others I find too strange for my taste. I think it's safe to say though that his books are unique.

Petra said...

I agree, unique is the right word. :)

Gakuen Alice said...

I haven't read one of his books in a long time. I might just get started on him again, starting with this ! Thanks for the review, sounds interesting !

songo_ac@hotmail.com

ferina said...

I love Roald Dahl's books. Tough sometimes the characters and the stories do not suitable for kids, but I love his books. The characters are unique. My favorite is Charlie and The Chocolate Factory. It's a yummy book :)
Great review!

Andrea Diaz said...

This sounds cute! Gotta love Roald Dahl!

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! :)