Review: Alanna: The First Adventure

Alanna: The First Adventure (Song of the Lioness, #1) by Tamora Pierce


"From now on I'm Alan of Trebond, the younger twin. I'll be a knight."

And so young Alanna of Trebond begins the journey to knighthood. Though a girl, Alanna has always craved the adventure and daring allowed only for boys; her twin brother, Thom, yearns to learn the art of magic. So one day they decide to switch places: Disguised as a girl, Thom heads for the convent to learn magic; Alanna, pretending to be a boy, is on her way to the castle of King Roald to begin her training as a page.

But the road to knighthood is not an easy one. As Alanna masters the skills necessary for battle, she must also learn to control her heart and to discern her enemies from her allies.

Filled with swords and sorcery, adventure and intrigue, good and evil, Alanna's first adventure begins -- one that will lead to the fulfillment of her dreams and the magical destiny that will make her a legend in her land.

I know that Tamora Pierce has many fans and I can see why. Sadly, I didn't know her when I was a child. I wish I did!
Alanna: The First Adventure is the first book by this author I've read and I loved it! (After so many YA romances this was a refreshing read.) The main character is a young and strong girl who decides to follow her dreams and go against society restrictions. She longs to become a knight and the fact that she is a girl won't stop her. (Thumbs up!) She breaks some rules and one of her best friends is the king of thieves, but still she is a truthful character. She is kind, loving, brave and loyal. Yet she's got a lot of things and issues to figure out. She is going through a lot of changes and I hope that there is going to be more growth when it comes to who she really is. There are many mentions about this in the book, so I guess she indeed will reach a place where it will be possible for her to follow her dreams and she still will be able to accept who she is, a girl.
Many of the other characters were quite complex, especially the mischievous and adorable thief!
And is there any romance? Well, it seems like something is going to happen in the future and when it happens it's going to be a relationship based on a great friendship and years of shared adventures.
All in all I loved this story! It was fun and very entertaining. I'm looking forward to the second book in the series.

Rating:

6 comments:

StephanieD said...

Oh, I loved this series when I was growing up! I wanted to be like her so badly- that maybe deep inside me was a great warrior waiting to be properly trained. I hope you enjoy the rest of the series!

the maniacal bookworm said...

I want to read a Tamora Pierce book so bad! She sounds good. :)

Petra said...

Thank you both for stopping by! :)

@Stephanie
Are you a warrior now? :)

Stephanie Verhaegen said...

Great review! This sounds like a great book. I'd love to read it.

Sarah Elizabeth said...

I loved this book when I was a teenager. I remember it vividly because the day I finished reading it, my auntie named her baby girl 'Alanna'!

brionna said...

By the sound of your review, the book was rather good. I will have to check it out! :D

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! :)