Review: House of Night: Legacy









*Copy received through NetGalley.














Title: House of Night
SubTitle: Legacy
Publisher: Dark Horse Comics
Pub Date: July 04, 2012
ISBN: 9781595829627














House of Night: Legacy by PC Cast, Kristin Cast, Kent Dalian, Joelle Jones, Karl Kerschl, Joshua Covey, Daniel Krall, Jonathan Case, Eric Canete


This is a collection of all five HoN graphic novels that have been published so far.


Click to get to Goodreads.




If there is any YA series that I really love, then it is without doubt the House of Night series. Of course there are some things I don't like about it. Like some of the pop-culture references; I know that some teenagers might appreciate that, but it makes me roll my eyes. Also, the Twins, they are seriously getting on my nerves sometimes. Otherwise, the world of HoN is beautiful and mesmerizing. There are so many things in it that are close to my heart. It is very pagan oriented with lots of mythology, folklore, and magic. And even though it is light read it talks about some big things. Free will, the importance of tolerance for people with other beliefs, and as all P.C.Cast's books, the way women are treated in society. I'm not saying these books are huge on philosophy, as I said this is fun and light read, but it's there.


I was very pleased to see there are graphic novels based on the HoN series. I might be pretty biased, but I really enjoyed all the five stories. They are based on the two first books in series, but focus more on Zoey and the five lessons she is supposed to learn. Each graphic novel is one lesson connected with one of the five elements. The first story takes us to Norway and talks about Earth. The second one explains how the Dark Daughters were founded and it's connected with Air. The third story, probably my favourite, is about Water. It takes one of the most famous story of the Greek mythology, Odysseus and the goddess of magic and witch Circe, and changes is so it fits into the HoN series.The fourth story talks about Fire and shows us the story of Cleopatra and Mark Antony. The last one is about Spirit and Hippolyte, the Queen of the Amazons, and Heracles meet in it.


All in all these stories were enjoyable and the illustrations were just amazing. I think Nyx would approve! ;)









Rating:






14 comments:

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

these look so good! i didn't realize these book had been made into graphic novels :)

Petra said...

They are really beautiful, I'm going to buy them! :)
And there is supposed to be a movie, too!

Sarah (Inklings Read) said...

The art in these looks gorgeous. I heard mixed reviews about these, but I'm glad to see you liked them! I'm really enjoying the HON series (will be reading Destined at some point..)

Thanks for answering my question about the content (even if I hadn't asked it yet)! I was wondering if they followed the same general storyline as the books.

Great review!

@Petra: I had no idea there is supposed to be a movie! That's awesome though!

Petra said...

@Sarah
I think that most of the people who didn't enjoy these comics were those who didn't read the series. And I kind of understand that it might not be that appealing to them.
I haven't read Destined yet! But it's waiting for me on my bookshelf! :)

I hope the movie is finally going to happen, they've been talking about it for ages.

Dovile said...

I hope these are better than the novels, as I didn't like the series much, except for the first book.

Steph said...

Great review! I love the House of Night series, but I've never gotten into graphic novels. I might have to check these out though!

Petra said...

@Dovile
If you didn't like the series much, I think you wouldn't enjoy this much either. I guess this is especially for the HoN series fans.

@Steph
Thanks! You should try it. :)

Martina Koleva said...

I never really gave the books a chance. I started the fist one a few years ago but I'm not sure if I finished it or not. I think I didn't enjoy it as much as I though I would. I'll have to pick it up and try it again though, because I've heard so many great things about it. Maybe the second time will be better. :) The graphic novels look great. I've never read any but they sure do look awesome!

Melissas Eclectic Bookshelf said...

These look beautiful...and how cool that they may make a movie?!

♥Melissa

tjmetz said...

These look gorgeous!

Petra said...

@Martina Koleva
That depends, some people think the series are getting worse with every other book, and others (including me:)) think that it's getting better! :)

But the graphic novels are really beautiful! :)

@Melissa
I know, I can't wait! :)

glass said...

I've read all of the HoN books - I hate them and like them at the same time.

Stephanie Verhaegen said...

I hated this. The art was so bad. I rated it only 1 star and I don't think I will read the others. I love the series though. Most of the time. :P

Coffee Monster said...

I can't wait to start reading these :)

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! :)