Review: I, Coriander

I, Coriander by Sally Gardner

Goodreads  Book Depository






I, Coriander is a real fairy-tale. And by fairy-tale I don't mean Disney, but a classic fairy-tale with all its aspects. It has the simple way of telling a story, even though it touches quite complex and big things. At times it is very dark and cruel. There is the evil witch with her scary companion. There is the handsome prince who is about to marry the spoiled and unkind princess. And of course, there is the poor little girl who has to face all the troubles her fate brought her. Her mother suddenly died under weird circumstances, and shortly after her father had to leave England, because he was a Royalist and the story is set in London during the Oliver Cromwell period (bloody bastard if you ask me). While trying to cope with her problems Coriander finds out who her mother really was and with that she discovers the world of fairies and her own heritage.
I really enjoyed this story, it was simple, yet very intelligent and sophisticated. What I appreciated most was the emphasis on the importance of thinking for yourself rather than following blindly and zealously an idea and/or a self-appointed ruler. Oh, and when someone mentioned "the feeble mind of women", I suddenly felt the urge to show them that neither my mind, nor my fist is feeble!
Also, it nicely connected two parallel worlds and brought them together in a real fairy-tale style happy ending. So once again, good defeated evil. At least for some time.


The End

Rating:

 

22 comments:

dogwood said...

Sounds like a great book to read with my daughter this summer!

Ee Hwee said...

It sounds good! And who doesn't love a good fairytale. :) Thanks for the giveaway!

Stephanie Verhaegen said...

I really really want to read this one. Love fairy tales.

Aleksandra said...

Love the sound of it, I'll definitely add it on my list, 'cause it sounds like my type of fairy tale :) Thanks for the review & the recommendation.

Sarah Elizabeth said...

I love fairytales. I can't help but love a happy ending :)
And I agree, women are anything but feeble!

Heidi Grange said...

I find stories with passive and dependent girls very irritating. I too prefer characters who can think for themselves or at least learn to do so. This sounds like an interesting twist on the fairy tale retelling genre.

Violette said...

This sounds great! I'm especially digging the parallel world aspects. Thank you for introducing me to this great book!

Megan @ Books and Teacups said...

I love how fairytales always have morals - such a good way of teaching children in particular! Great review! Plus always nice to read a fairytale ending ;)

Tobi said...

I love classic fairy tales! And to know that good wins in the end! Thanks for the review!<3

Eli Yanti said...

sounds a good book, thanks for the review :)

Janita said...

Thanks for the review, I love fairytales:)

starryabigail said...

This book is brilliant!
I've done a review on it as well: http://baawisdombooks.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/bbc-i-corainder.html

Thanks for the great giveaway!

AUTUMN GIRL said...

It sounds really good. I like the cover too.

Suz said...

This sounds like a great book! I like the idea of the story and am glad to read from your review that it is done well and has a happy ending! Sounds like a perfect book for me!

Suz Reads

Denise Z said...

Thank you for sharing about I Coriander, it is a new title to me and I love to learn about new books, especially good new books. I would enjoy her journey and the world building sounds like something that would appeal to me:)

SavingsInSeconds said...

Sounds scary and exciting! Would this be appropriate for an 8 year old? My daughter absolutely loves fairy tales.
Dede

Petra said...

I'm so glad that you all find the book interesting, it's really great!

@SavingsInSeconds
That depends, it gets a bit dark at times and some children are more sensitive than others. But I believe children are much smarter and can cope with big things better than we'd like to think. I guess it's appropriate for an 8 year old. :)

sary said...

this book sounds GREAT!

uraniborg said...

It sounds great, thanks for the review!
Kristia Miltiadou

Kulsuma said...

This sounds amazing! I love books about fairies!

Sheena-kay Graham said...

It's a sweet story. Truly a classic.

Luvdaylilies said...

I really enjoyed the review=)
Good conquers Evil~as it should be!
Lethea B
Luvdaylilies

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! :)