Review: Tales of Terror from the Tunnel's Mouth

Tales of Terror From the Tunnel's Mouth by Chris Priestley

Goodreads  Book Depository

9/10
Genre: Horror, Children

"Robert Harper is going back to school, and it is the first railway journey he has ever made alone. And it is not a very usual sort of railway journey. The train stops at the mouth of a tunnel and in order to help while away the time a strange woman dressed in white tells Robert stories. But these are not the kind of stories normally told to a child. soon Robert is both entranced and terrified by the strange woman and the macabre stories.  Prepare to be chilled to the bone as Robert discovers just how frightening it can be to be alone on a train with only strangers to keep company." 
                                                                                                                                                                                            Taken from Goodreads.com  

Although I bought and read this book last year, I still think about it from time to time, and I believe that it deserves a review here, because it is an amazing book! And it might be a great book to read if you are taking part in this Readathon!
I stumbled upon it in Waterstone's in Bath without previously knowing anything about he author. But I loved the cover and the annotation so much that I bought it. Only later I realized this is the third installment book in the trilogy of  Tales of Terror. The first book is Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror and the second Tales of Terror From the Black Ship.

And what can I say about the book itself? What a creepy book! Even though some of the stories were slightly predictable, it didn't hurt their scariness. I had goosebumps all the time, seriously. My favourites are 'A New Governess' and 'The Little People'. Also, I love how all the stories are framed in the end. 
The writing is superb, and the British sense of humour is a bonus.
It was my first book by Chris Priestley, and already I've read The Dead of Winter, and Uncle Montague is waiting for me on my bookshelf! :)

I wish you a happy autumnal equinox! :)

Petra

1 comment:

Mist@BookaholicsBookClub said...

Hey, thanks for leaving me this link on book passion for life and reading my review, I'm def gonna get all of his other books, this sounds really good :)

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! :)