Review: Immortal by Gillian Shields

Immortal by Gillian Shields

Goodreads  Book Depository

 

5/10
Genre: YA, Paranormal

"Wyldcliffe Abbey School for Young Ladies, housed in a Gothic mansion on the bleak northern moors, is elite, expensive, and unwelcoming. When Evie Johnson is torn away from her home by the sea to become the newest scholarship student, she is more isolated than she could have dreamed. Strict teachers, snobbish students, and the oppressive atmosphere of Wyldcliffe leave Evie drowning in loneliness. Evie's only lifeline is Sebastian, a rebellious, mocking, dangerously attractive young man she meets by chance. As Evie's feelings for Sebastian grow with each secret meeting, she starts to fear that he is hiding something about his past. And she is haunted by glimpses of a strange, ghostly girl—a girl who is so eerily like Evie, she could be a sister. Evie is slowly drawn into a tangled web of past and present that she cannot control. And as the extraordinary, elemental forces of Wyldcliffe rise up like the mighty sea, Evie is faced with an astounding truth about Sebastian, and her own incredible fate.
Gillian Shields's electrifying tale will dazzle readers with suspense, mysticism, and romance."
                                                                                                                                                                                            Taken from Goodreads.com 



I rather start with what I didn't like that much while reading this book, and then I move to the aspects I absolutely loved.
Well, I didn't feel any particular connection with the main character, Evie. I mean she was alright and I liked to discover things about Wyldcliffe through her. It's just that I didn't care much what's going to happen to her. And so I didn't even enjoy her romance. It was ok, but again, I didn't care that much. The only powerful moments I had with Evie were the ones connected with Agnes, and also the few parts concerning her grandmother.
On the other hand, the other important character, Agnes, was the one I loved! Her story was powerful, dark, and sad. It was her story that made me cry. Several times. She was a complex, gentle, yet strong character. Other characters I really liked were Sarah and Helen, especially Sarah was very likeable (I love horses :)).
Sebastian was quite complex as well, at first very selfish and arrogant, then slowly realizing how much he messed up.
When it comes to the story behind the Wyldcliffe Abbey School, and the mood and atmosphere, that was the thing I enjoyed the most about this book. It was mastered perfectly! The moors of northern England. The old boarding school that used to be a Victorian manor, which was built in the place where a medieval nunnery used to be. The apparitions. The mysticism. The old diary. Oh, it all worked together so well!
So I'm slightly unsure about the rating now, because there were many things and characters that I enjoyed and loved. Only the main character, and her love story didn't move me. But chances are that it's just me, and that you would love this book's every aspect.

2 comments:

Sandy said...

I have to agree with you! I loved the setting and mood for this book and I loved Agnes and her story but Evie just annoyed me as well as her love interest, what's his name again? Throughout the book she kept referring to herself as sensible but she wasn't sensible at all. Agnes as you say was the strong and intelligent character.

Petra said...

Exactly! I'm glad you agree.
It's a pity though, the setting was amazing!

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! :)